Wednesday, December 11, 2013

"New" 1971 R75/5 Preparations

I received the /5 wheels I had purchased via EBay. The wheels appear to be pretty good. They showed years of neglect as far as cleaning / polishing. They both likely came from derelict bikes which had been sitting.
I pulled the chrome "hub caps" and tapped out a couple minor "dings" on each one. One "hub cap" has a bit more shine than the other....I think I'll end up with at least 4 more of the "caps" tomorrow when I pick up the bike, so will likely have a selection to choose from. The seller has an extra set of wheels and the original hubs. While in the wheel hubs, I checked the wheel bearings and they all looked good. I used a specialized wheel bearing greasing tool I had and purged in some Marine grade wheel bearing grease. The bearings will probably outlast me. The bearing flange / hub cap bolt heads were all pitted and ugly. I wire wheeled them clean but they still look bad. I'll come up with some Stainless Steel replacements later as the local supply down the street didn't have the correct fasteners.
I spent a couple hours on each wheel cleaning the rims / spokes as best I could. They actually came out looking pretty good. I've found that a simple old SOS pad works the best. Everyone swears by "Scotch Brite" pads but my success with them has been poor....maybe if I scrubbed with them for a week or two they might do something? I've tried  numerous other types of cleaning methods but the SOS pads work good on the alloy Weinmann rims IMO. Each wheel had some previous wheel tool scars but I've seen a lot worse. I took a fine file to a couple of the rough scars to clean them up. Some surface rust on the spokes came off real easily....but I'll do a little more on them later.
I ordered a new rear tire but it didn't arrive yet so I mounted an old 18" rear tire I hadn't thrown away yet. It has a little tread left but came from the sidecar tug so has a pretty "square" wear pattern. I mounted a fairly new 19" front tire I had as a spare. That gives me two tires / rims to get the "new" R75/5 into a "rolling chassis" mode so I can haul it on my trailer.
Sounds like I'll have quite a large amount of /5 stuff coming my way.
The bike includes a set of new (12 years ago) panniers & Krauser inner bags (I gave to him 10 years ago), a rear top case,  two QSL Tuetonic 1000 Mile Solo Seats, two extra wheels and hubs, some specialized /5 tools and manuals. Not sure what else.
I'll try to use the original Bing series /3 & /4 carbs but they had numerous problems direct from the manufacturer. Most folks replaced them with the series  /9 & /10 models. I might use the R100 32mm Bing carbs I have on the bike. I have a large assorted selection of spare Bing needle / main jets so should be able to make it work....the only issue will be the choke (enrichener) cables as they will be different. I want the bike to be totally reliable and somewhat stock in appearance. Most folks don't know a /5 from a /6 or a /7 for that matter so it doesn't really matter....I'm putting together a "driver"...not a "show" bike. To hell with the "purists"...lol.
I loaded up my wheels, tie down straps and a few tools as we will need to somewhat assemble the machine to a rolling chassis mode tomorrow afternoon. I think the bike is mostly together except that the fenders / wheels have been removed.
I looked at the bike in its' present state about 6 years ago but don't recall everything.....except I know when he was riding the machine years ago it was a beauty.
I'll try to get some photos tomorrow to document the process if I remember.

No comments:

Gila Mtns.

Gila Mtns.