I wire brushed / cleaned the headers / muffler then gave them a new coat of flat black Heat Paint. Installing the system was a little tricky but with the help of my lovely Wife I was able to get everything into place. The "new" muffler had sustained some damage I didn't initially see, but nothing too terrible. I installed the chrome covers I already had as mine were better than the others. I also had a set of chrome header covers, but decided not to use them.
The replacement OEM system probably adds 20 lbs. to the bike as the headers are cast iron, and the "horse shoe" muffler is quite heavy.
Plus I like the unique look of the stock system.
I'm still "sporting" the old school backrest I installed last Spring to take my Wife for a ride.
A couple of years ago I bought a new "Air Cut-off" valve as I thought it might be bad. I had removed the old one and found nothing wrong, but ordered a new one anyway. I decided today to install the new one. Upon removal of the existing assembly, I found that a small (obscurely placed) o-ring was missing, which would have caused a constant vacuum minor leak. I only realized it was missing when I opened the new kit and found three o-rings, when I was only expecting 2 o-rings.
Also found a broken piece of plastic on the top of one of the carbs....in the top cover above the slide.
The plastic appeared to be old and fractured. I fashioned a piece of rubber plug and affixed / sealed it to replace the broken piece. Removing the slide top would have meant removing the entire carb. assembly, which I was not prepared to do today. The white plastic piece is permanently affixed and is not a replacement part. I'd need to replace the entire cover assembly section to properly repair it. My repair will likely last indefinitely.
Also picked up some oil / filter and performed an oil change. Was at 2700 miles since last Winters service so it was due.