Monday, February 2, 2015

Old BMW Parts "Housekeeping"

Been spending some time sorting through old BMW parts recently. I have numerous old parts which I doubt I'll ever use. At one point I considered assembling another bike. I have some frames, spare engine, transmissions, final drives etc. But upon thinking it through I decided that time would be better spent maintaining the bikes I already have, rather than taking on another "build". Plus there were numerous parts I am missing to even assemble a "rolling chassis".
I went through all the old parts and spent most of a day cleaning and sorting what I thought would be marketable via EBay. Ended up listing a couple of final drive assemblies, both needing work. Also listed a spare 1970 era alloy turn signal, later model rear brake cylinder, misc. transmission parts from a dissassembled transmssion, a side stand, rear swing arms, /5 BMW wheels and a few other bits. I listed them all cheap so most should eventually sell.
Today I tore down the 1975 R60/6 engine we have been tripping over (in our outdoor laundry room shed) for the past year. The engine appears to be in pretty good shape, and I'm sure it would have run as is. I'll try to sell the pistons, cylinders & cylinder heads individually. They're not worth much but should bring a few dollars. The engine "bottom end" appears to be in good shape, but shipping / packaging is too costly to mess with. I'll likely run a Craigslst Ad in Phoenix to attempt to sell the frames / engine block.
I still have a large selection of parts which I keep as spares....3 transmissions, a rear final drive, rear swing arm, starters and a multitude of small items.
I've sold hundreds of items through EBay the past 5 years. Occasionally I end up needing something which I once had, but sold. In those instances I just have to bite the bullet and buy another part, but it doesn't happen often.
We packed today for our annual motorcycle trip to the Salton Sea / Bashfords Hot Springs Airhead gathering. The function is scheduled for Sat. / Sat. night but we plan on heading over on Friday. The weather forecast looks a bit shaky for tomorrow with 60% chance of rain. If the weather looks poor tomorrow, we'll head over on Sat. morning.

No comments:

Gila Mtns.

Gila Mtns.