Thursday, December 8, 2011

"WW2 BMW" .....NOT

Our trip into the mountains of CA didn't end up too sucessful in this latest quest.
What was described as a WW2 BMW side car rig ended up being an old Russian bike.


I'm not sure of the year as I'm no expert on these bikes. It was obviously old and had a dismembered flathead side valve engine.




The side car frame was probably the most valuable part of the find.



The side car tire:


Pretty husky old frame with leaf springs.


The remains of the rusty old drive train.



Someone had written "BMW" on a Russian piston.



She had the manual "nuetral finder" lever...maybe had a reverse too?



Poor old thing.....the frame is remarkably like my old Zundapp KS601 I sold this summer.




So, I'm back on the hunt for my next great "find".

2 comments:

redlegsrides said...

Bummer re this treasure hunt....I am not sure, given it's condition, that even had it been a M72 rig, I would have tried to restore it.

Redleg's Rides

Colorado Motorcycle Travel Examiner

Anonymous said...

It's a Soviet M-72, probably 1946-56. No reverse gearbox. Quite suitable for restoration as CJ 750 parts will fit and are cheap. In Russia it would cost at least 30,000 - 45,000 rubles for such a bike even in that condition ($1.000 - $1,500)

Gila Mtns.

Gila Mtns.