Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Wixom Ranger Top Case / Bates Saddleags

Finally have all the R100S Engine parts coming to me....My buddy Bert told me I was crazy if I didn't pull the rod bearings and check them when I had the engine top end pulled off....he was right as when I removed the bearings they did show evidence of wear. No bad scoring but showed wear non the less. The crankshaft journals look just fine. So I ordered a new set of std. rod bearings along with new rod bolts....BMW rod bolts are a one time use item and must be renewed each time. Only $3.30 each & BMW rod bearings were $14.20 each. Ordered the over size rings which I hope are correct......Should have all parts in hand in a few days so will begin reassembly of the engine.
This seat will go onto the R100S...am EBay find for around a $100.00 + $100.00 to have it recovered......
I gave this German Police tank a dry run on the "Hag" for a few trips and it works fine.....It was traded for my old Toaster Tank and I had a $75.00 Mexico paint job done.....new BMW "Roundels", new tank pads and a restored aluminum fuel cap. This will go on the R100S....
I've been wanting some older style saddle bags for the BMW /5 "Hag" when the sidecar goes over to the R100S. The R100S will get the BMW stock bags currently on the "Hag". Wanted to purchase a set of "Wixom" saddle bags but their costs have been pretty high....The ones I've been tracking on EBay have been well over $300.00 w/shipping. Decided to settle for a cheaper set of "Bates" saddle bags & mounts I found on the IBMWR classified site for a total of $90.00 and that included shipping...a pretty good deal! They have an older "retro" look and are actually better made with heavier material than the "Wixoms". The Bates bags are also larger and will likely hold the "Krauser" inner - liner luggage I use. Most of the Wixom Bags crack at the mounting pin areas...

Wasn't sure I wanted this "Wixom Ranger" Top Case but I won it on EBay for a total of $10.19 plus $38.00 shipping. Can't believe that I was the only bidder........Not sure which bike it will go on but the price was definitely right!

Also bought a set of "Luftmiester" Header Guards and Muffler guards for a total of $45.00 plus shipping.....I've seen the header guards go for over $100.00 alone....so all in all I came up with some pretty good bargains lately....all financed by selling misc. BMW parts on EBay.....The R100S bike's cost is coming up with all the parts I've been accumulating...I figure I'm into the bike around $1500.00 now. Not too bad.....Still need to replace the tires at some point too......

I have the R75/5 Long Wheel Base sub frame repaired as it had a small crack...it will be sanded primed and painted.
Also had a BMW R75/5 Steering Friction Damper modified / lengthened ,to fit the Leading Link Front end. I'll need to do a few more minor modifications to the lower friction plates & mounting
tabs....

No comments:

Gila Mtns.

Gila Mtns.