Wednesday, July 23, 2008

"Airhead Central" at the MOA National

Made it to Billings on Friday night after the rain, hail, "stupid move" and UFO encounter. I figured that after the tough 1/2 day rain ride the rest would be easy, and I was right. Spent a nice evening with my wife, daughters and Grandson and headed out for Gillette after a 1 hour Wal Mart debacle. I possess two nice digital cameras and of course left both of them at home in my haste to hit the road. Bought a cheap digital at Wal Mart Friday night and found it didn't work at all so went back Sat. AM and bought another more expensive one. Looked at a dozen different ones and finally found one that will serve its' purpose. (barely) Made great time going to Gillette and had tail winds all the way. Winds are a big deal when piloting a sidecar. They are usually working against me it seems but this day they were on my side. Upon arriving at the BMW Rally I spent 10 minutes looking for a registration tent and after being given directions from 3 different volunteers (never found it) I gave up and found the "Airhead Central" tent. Fitted with couches , chairs and goodies purchased at goodwill it was home away from home. (The purchased furniture is then donated back to Goodwill after the rally)
The first face I see is my buddy "Boz" from southern California. He is a retired Navy Seal and a great fellow. He was running the Airhead store for a while as a volunteer. Also had a cooler full of cold beer close at hand. He has gotten engaged and will be married on Aug. 15th. (our anniversary). Congratulations Boz!
There were many side hack rigs present at the rally. More than I have ever seen in one place. This one is an extreme "K" Bike with some sort of radical sidecar. I will post a few more great photos later of this wild rig. Probably 30-40 thousand invested in this guy. Lots more photos of hacks to post later. Good night for now.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Gila Mtns.

Gila Mtns.